Athens Riviera – Vouliagmeni Lake & Surroundings
As we have already announced, leaders for this forthcoming walk will be Alex and Elizabeth, a couple who are residents of this … elegant area and who know every … stone with its name !!
Here below you can read their description :
Date/Time : Sunday Oct 20, 2019 at 11:00 am
Meeting Point : Lake Vouliagmeni Cafe/Restaurant – You can either have a coffee while everyone arrives or wait near the entrance of the lake.
Parking : Before the Lake entrance ramp, to the left – see https://goo.gl/maps/tpBUHBcpboRGkqkJ9 Because spaces are limited, especially on a Sunday, you can also park at nearby spots, side streets etc. Please study the map and be creative!
By Bus : two options
- No 122 Elliniko – Saronida from outside the Elliniko Metro station (http://telematics.oasa.gr/en/#lineDetails_941_122%20:%20ST.%20ELLINIKO%20-%20SARONIDA_295-54) OR
- No 117 Glyfada – Vouliagmeni – Vari from Glyfada (https://moovitapp.com/index/en/public_transit-line-117-Athens_%CE%91%CE%B8%CE%B7%CE%BD%CE%B1-1822-775371-179994-0)
Name of Bus Stop is “Vouliagmeni Lake” or simply ‘LIMNI” (means “lake” in Greek)
Distance/Duration: Approx 8 km / 4 hours
Difficulty : Easy to Medium. The first hour includes some 100 concrete steps up and a mild ascent to the peak of the hill behind the lake. The peak is at approx. 145 m altitude above sea level on well-marked wide trails with occasional benches for resting. Most remaining stroll is either flat or descending. Yeah baby, this is a luxury tour!! Cigars & brandy allowed.
- Lake Vouliagmeni – Formed about 2000 years ago when the limestone ceiling of an elaborate cavern system was partially exposed. Awesome.
- Top view of the lake – Gives you better perspective and nice views of Vouliagmeni bay
- Walk in a Natura preserve – Some grouse and pheasants and plenty of dog poop
- Ascent to the hill – Time for your energy pill but worth the effort for some spectacular views
- Strolling Vouliagmeni neighborhoods – Makes you feel poor no matter how much money you have. It’s good to dream.
- Walk through a wooded park – Trees and more trees
- Cross to Kavouri beach – Blue waters with waves. Nice.
- Slow ascent to another hill for more fantastic views – Interesting wild flowers accompanied by some dog barking. Time to reflect your inner self.
- Promenade along Vouliagmeni beach to finally arrive at a spot with many restaurants near the parking area – Trust me, you’ll be hungry!
Eating (optional) : At the end of the tour, we’ll stop at the main “platia” (square) of Vouliagmeni where there are plenty of choices for late lunch or early dinner. These include a traditional taverna (Louizidis), pizza (La Palma), souvlaki or rotisserie chicken (Zahos), hamburgers, many cafes and ice cream parlors, posh restaurants, sushi and much more…
Please declare your participation up to 18th of October 22:00 at the organizers Georgos and Anna Foteinos e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Emergency phone : 6945 386255.
Important notice : Keep in mind that if you participate in an Athens Strollers and Hikers walk or hike, you do so for your fun and your pleasure at one hand but entirely at your own risk at the other. The Athens Strollers and Hikers is an internet social club and neither the organizers nor the leader are responsible for the safety of those taking part. For more information about that please refer to the ‘ Declaration of Tyrol ’.
Easy walks : 1,5– 2 hrs and height differences up to 100 m
Medium walks : 2 – 3 hrs and height differences up to 200 m
Hard walks : 3 – 4 hrs and height differences up to 400 m
Easy hikes : 3 – 5 hrs and height differences up to 500 m
Medium hikes : 5 – 7 hrs and height differences up to 750 m
Hard hikes : 7 hrs and up and height differences 750 m and up
Invitation : Anyone who likes to lead a future walk or hike please announce to us by e-mail referring to the place and the time he intends to take over this activity.
Deletion : Anybody who doesn’t like to receive anymore the invitations about our activities for any reason, please declare us his desire !!
See you all there !
Georgos and Anna